Advice on recording ocean waves

Subject: Advice on recording ocean waves
From: Cheryl Leonard <>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:55:25 -0800 (PST)
Greetings folks,

I need to record some very large ocean waves breaking
for a video project and wonder if anyone can offer
some advice on the best techniques for doing this.

So far I have been playing around with a Rode NT4
going into Core Audio's Mic2496 preamp and their PD
audio setup on a PDA. This is giving me nice crisp
recordings of things I can get the mic close to, but
isn't cutting it for the big waves breaking. They end
up lacking definition and sounding too much like white
noise. I would like to capture the different parts of
the wave crashes more distinctly.

I haven't tried using shotgun mics or parabolics yet
(I don't have any experience with either of these thus
far in my recording life, though I suspect they are
probably what this project calls for). I do have some
resources for borrowing or possibly buying another mic
(would like to keep this under $500). I'm not looking
to do binaural recordings and, unfortunately, most of
the wave recordings are going to end up in mono. It
would be acceptable to create or enhance the waves
sounds by mixing different recordings together,
although I am quite fond of the way they happen
naturally.

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can send my
way!

Cheryl Leonard
www.allwaysnorth.com