Re: edirol R-1

Subject: Re: edirol R-1
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:16:07 -0600
>  >So one has to switch off "input monitoring" to playback
>>something in the field and then turn it back on when starting to
>>record?
>
>Doug said when it was on you could hear the mics mixed with the playback.
>
>>Did you happen to notice whether there's a significant
>>difference in the mic pre gain?  Rob D.
>
>Compared to the Sharp? No. At first I thought the max gain was low,
>but when I calibrated the meter I realized it was only showing the
>top 20 dB and that was where I got my impression. The combination of
>input gain and headphone gain was plenty enough, got feedback a
>couple of times when turning up.
>
>-Dan Dugan

Seems the R-1 has flaws but nothing unworkable and well suited for
mics with high output like the shure 183's. The A->D quality in the
Edirol mic pre I used to own was acceptable.

For $200 more than a Sony 900 HiMD one gets:
24 bits vs. 16 bits
Easier to use USB direct to computer transfer (to _Mac_ as well as PC)
Compact Flash card backup (up to 2GB  with the Edirol's CF
opposed to 1 GB  for the Sony HiMD disc)
Really  recording times/massive Storage on its 40GB internal drive.
S/PDIF Optical output

24bits with p-i-p is a new combination.  Could one "un-balance" (tie
off the legs of the balanced outputs to ground)  from a Denecke PS-2
and run them into the R-1's 1/8" mic input?  If so, one could use
phantom-powered mics for another $180.  The Input Impedance for the
external Mic jack is given as 6.8K ohms. Rob D.