Re: more md comparisons

Subject: Re: more md comparisons
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:45:52 -0000

> >This leads me to believe that maybe the spdif input still goes through
> >the same a/d conversion as a line level input to a Minidisc.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised that one good audio path sounds like another.
> An S/PDIF input certainly doesn't get a/d converted again!

I will repeat the test again.  In that there is automatic sample
conversion it is possible that that means everything gets resampled.
What I am trying to determine is if there is an advantage in running a
quality external a/d converter as well as a quality mic pre.  So far
the answer appears, no advantage in running an external a/d.

> >Next I inputted the ME-62 into the Quadmic and Multiface and recorded
> >to one Minidisc by SPDIF and direct to the laptop at 16/44.1. Each
> >were given a channel in one stereo track and levels were equalized
> >between the two.
>
> I'm sorry I don't understand this patch.

This was a comparison of a track of laptop vs spdif atrac on one
stereo file.

> >Of course there was some difference at 17,000 and above as well as 50
> >and below.  So to be fair I resampled to 11,050 khz so that the sound
> >would be closer to the same.
>
> Just a low-pass filter would have been sufficient.

Not if I wanted to post a file to the internet as a min would be 10
megs instead of 2.5 megs that I posted.

> >Results were not the same.
Coloration or artifact?

> Sounds like a delay pan to me. The result of significantly different
> sample rates on L & R?

Thanks for that and it makes sense. I will record an hour with both
the laptop and the MD to a WWV time standard and determine which has
the drift and by how much.

> -Dan Dugan

Rich