Re: more md comparisons

Subject: Re: more md comparisons
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:06:36 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> I will repeat the test again.  In that there is automatic sample
> conversion it is possible that that means everything gets resampled.
> What I am trying to determine is if there is an advantage in running a
> quality external a/d converter as well as a quality mic pre.  So far
> the answer appears, no advantage in running an external a/d.

I think the problem with the walkman MD's is in the pre, not the a/d.
But I have no proof of that. You also have a matching d/a, and those
that use good pre's with these MD's don't seem to report problems with
what comes out of the d/a. I'd expect the a/d and d/a to be of fairly
equal quality.

I would not be surprised if both your paths got resampled. Just to match
the clocking of the digital systems involved.

>>> I'm sorry I don't understand this patch.
>

> This was a comparison of a track of laptop vs spdif atrac on one
> stereo file.

No it was not. It was a comparison between a direct input into a laptop
(short chain of components) and a indirect input into the computer
(along a much longer chain of different components). Spdif and the atrac
chip were only a small part of that. You have considerable other
differences in your audio chain.

Here's a older comparison between two Nagra's and a Tascam I was reading
recently:
http://www.saeuk.com/research/potz.pdf

A quote from the above paper:
"In order to achieve a fair evaluation of each recording device, all
recorded SFX were printed to all three media at the same time. It is
crucially important to use the exact same microphones, cables and
splitters for each individual recording, in order to eliminate any
distracting side factors, that might colour the recording in advantage
of one particular media under investigation."

That's the whole audio chain they are talking about.

What you have is a comparison between one complete recording chain and
another complete recording chain. And it should be stated that way. Any
assumptions about some particular component of the chain would require
much more careful tests to determine if that component was solely
responsible for the assumed effect.