Re: comparing Shure modules for 183 mics

Subject: Re: comparing Shure modules for 183 mics
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:07:30 -0600
  Thanks much for these time-consuming/telling tests. I was holding
onto hope, but it does make sense that a pro mic preamp wouldn't help
a mic with ~21dBA self noise and high sensitivity like the 183 has.
PIP out-shinning Shure's MX power supply is a shocker. A phantom->PIP
power module is a humorous twist. I assume there's no way the 183's
FET could be hacked for balanced/power. I'm curious about about a
couple of things:

>Test 1:
>
>Left: WR183 -> Sharp MD-MT90 gain MIC L 20, phones level 30, phones
>output -> Sound Devices USBPre line input L, gain max.
>
>Right: MX183 (gain jumper +12) -> Sound Devices USBPre mic input
>(48V), gain knob 1:00.

Does this introduce the MT-90's headphone amp performance into the
Left channel?

Would you say that the combined low noise/high output of the Shure
mic is primarily responsible for the Sharp MT-90's internal mic
preamp being a non factor in your test? Folks who read your
conclusion who are using a much lower output mic like the MS-957 or
even the Rode NT-4 (which I found to be on the order of ~18dB less
output than the 183's) might think the MD pre isn't adding noise when
they crank the mic pre gain to make-up for the lower output.

Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D