Re: comparing Shure modules for 183 mics

Subject: Re: comparing Shure modules for 183 mics
From: Mark Griswold <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:17:47 -0800
>  Thanks much for these time-consuming/telling tests. I was holding
> onto hope, but it does make sense that a pro mic preamp wouldn't help
> a mic with ~21dBA self noise and high sensitivity like the 183 has.

> PIP out-shinning Shure's MX power supply is a shocker.

actually, if you look inside many lavalier battery power supplies,=20
there is a tiny, unshielded transformer. It is often shoved into a=20
molded plastic cap along with a watch or hearing aid battery. The whole =

thing often looks like a grade school art project. The usual market for =

lavaliers is video production where self noise is not a real=20
consideration.

> A phantom->PIP
> power module is a humorous twist. I assume there's no way the 183's
> FET could be hacked for balanced/power.

here are several methods of phantom -> PIP:

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/
microphone_powering.html#phantom

the balancing could be done with a Jensen (or similar quality - and=20
definitely SHIELDED) transformer.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/mic_in.html