Re: Marantz PMD-660 and competitors

Subject: Re: Marantz PMD-660 and competitors
From: "artistico7" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:29:05 -0000
I've still got an R-1 on order that it is still possible for me to
cancel, although it might be quite possible that it will be more
convenient for my use than the new Marantz.

I understand that the problem with the internal mics is that it
doesn't take high sound pressure levels, but hence it should be
alright for acoustic work, and even for ambience recordings to be
added to a music mix where ultimate quality isn't of the essence?
Might be a challenge finding the right distance from the sound
source to the unit when recording acoustic music, though.

Any thoughts on the sound quality when the mic is not pushed to its
limitations?

Would also be interesting to know how it performs compared to the
present consumer MiniDisc recorders as they are comparable in size.

Anyway, with that kind of mic response, 24-bit recording might have
been an unnecessary feature? and USB out does really make digital
out redundant for the common second step of digital recordings that
go into the computer in any case whether it be via the USB out or a
computer-connected card reader.

Interesting thread as it's important in selecting the right
recording device for someone on a limited budget, and also with
considerations of convenience and liking to travel light...

Hakon
www.HakonSoreide.com

--- In  Rob Danielson <>