Re: Marantz PMD-660 and competitors

Subject: Re: Marantz PMD-660 and competitors
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:44:48 -0600
>"artistico7"  wrote:
>>  Does anyone know how the Mayah Flashman compares...
>
>The Flashman has better specs than the Marantz PMD-660, and it's
>smaller and lighter.  These features come at a much higher price,
>however -- $2,200US at the online sources I checked this morning.=A0
>
>The Flashman looks like a fine machine.  For more information, see
>http://www.mayah.com/index.php?id=3D19
>
>Mayah has no USA distributor, but Sonotechnique represents them in
>Canada. http://www.sonotechnique.ca/
>
>--oryoki

I certainly would look at the Sound Devices 722
in this price range: 24 bits, hard drive plus CF
recording media, a high quality preamp with
phantom power and more. Or the Fostex F2 or
Portadisc.

With these new disc recorders, for use in natural
locations, I'd take a careful look at mic input
preamp gain and noise specs, or better yet, seek
experiences with the gear like Mike is offering.
Some examples: Mayah shows no mic preamp specs at
all for their Flashman. The R-1 mic pre gain
_may_ be as low as 40dB (compared to 65dB for the
MP-2)-- the Edirol specs I've found are sketchy.
Marantz 670 specs a signal to noise ratio for
their mic pre input that's in the same zone as MD.

We might be seeing familiar tiers with changes
primarily to bit depth and media
recording/download media capability:  A
"Consumer/Musician" tier  with 24 bit disc
recording/digital download and consumer grade
p-i-p (power in plug) mic preamps and a "Pro"
tier with the same features and a high quality
head end.  For a quality boost on the first tier
(not just convenience), we may see an increase
demand for higher quality p-i-p mics or DIY mods.
Low cost, high quality portable mic pres aren't
popping up; explaining, in part, the $700-$1200
spread  between the tiers. Rob D.