Re: Recording Lake Ice Sounds?

Subject: Re: Recording Lake Ice Sounds?
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:19:01 -0000
Your comments sound right.  I would suggest a further theory as well.
As you recall ice expands as it gets colder and contracts as it warms
which is reverse of most things.

The extreme first cold causes the ice to build fast over a body of
water that is actually still above freezing as an average.  As it
builds fast many crashes can be heard.  The next day when the sun
warms the ice sheet in these cold temps the bottom of the sheet
contracts first causing the pings or star wars like sounds.  There
are also crashes that occur during this time as well.

The crashes I suspect are the shifts and cracks starting at the top
of the ice sheet or through the entire sheet and they go well above
2,500 cycles. The more interesting pings are the contraction cracks
originating from only the bottom side of the sheet and are mainly
below 600 cycles.

I suspect the more extreme the temperature of the ice to the water
the more the activity will be as the sun warms the sheet the next
day.  This would explain why it is best only on one day and why it
isn't great every year.

A very small, short ping download
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/ice.mp3

Rich