Re: NT4 vs 957

Subject: Re: NT4 vs 957
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:49:28 +1000
Yes, the NT4 offers the options of using either 48V phantom power or a 9 V
battery that fits inside the barrel of the mic.

With battery in place, when the mic is switched on (switch is on the barrel
of the mic) a small red light (also on the barrel) comes on for a short
while.  Advice in the manual is that if it stays on for longer than a
second, it is time to replace the battery.

The battery can be in use and if phantom power is switched on, the battery
automatically disconnects.  Seems an excellent arrangement.

My admittedly non-technical assessment of the NT4 is that it  was primarily
designed for studio use.  It is very sensitive to air movement or movement
of the cable connecting it to the recorder.  Having finally realised just
how sensitive it is, and having overcome those problems, I find it gives
excellent results.

As has been pointed out, it is heavy, but the machining of the metal body i=
superb.  I think Walter would agree.  It gives one confidence that the
standard overall is similar.

Syd Curtis in Brisbane, Australia