Re: NT4 vs 957

Subject: Re: NT4 vs 957
From: B McWilliams / Mpath Records <>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:50:48 -0700 (PDT)
For those who have worked with the NT4 and the Sony
957, could you describe the results you've gotten with
both? I'm in the same boat as the original poster -
little money, but looking to get one of these stereo
mics.

How does the Sony deal with humidity? I lost a Rode NT
mic in the past recording in humid conditions...

Thanks,

Brian

> Yes, the NT4 offers the options of using either 48V
> phantom power or a 9 V
> battery that fits inside the barrel of the mic.
>
> With battery in place, when the mic is switched on
> (switch is on the barrel
> of the mic) a small red light (also on the barrel)
> comes on for a short
> while.  Advice in the manual is that if it stays on
> for longer than a
> second, it is time to replace the battery.
>
> The battery can be in use and if phantom power is
> switched on, the battery
> automatically disconnects.  Seems an excellent
> arrangement.
>
> My admittedly non-technical assessment of the NT4 is
> that it  was primarily
> designed for studio use.  It is very sensitive to
> air movement or movement
> of the cable connecting it to the recorder.  Having
> finally realised just
> how sensitive it is, and having overcome those
> problems, I find it gives
> excellent results.
>
> As has been pointed out, it is heavy, but the
> machining of the metal body is
> superb.  I think Walter would agree.  It gives one
> confidence that the
> standard overall is similar.

=09=09