RE: TSA vs. your gear

Subject: RE: TSA vs. your gear
From: Bret <>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:57:49 -0700 (PDT)
I asked the last 2 times I travelled and was told it was OK to lock my
luggage.  So I did.  And not with a TSA approved lock.

Last time I carried on the airplane all my electronics and mics, but
put the rolled up Telinga dish in the suitcase.  I filled the rolled up
dish with 8 bottles of locally made (Boulder, CO) hot sauce (mm...mm
good).  I kept expecting them to xray and ask what these 8 identical
bottles in a tube were.  They didn't.

I thought I heard on the radio about a class action lawsuit from people
who had items stolen by the TSA, but I cannot find a reference on the
web.  Theft by security is apparantly all too common.

I hope you file a police report.  Even if they catch the (a) crook,
they may choose not to prosecute, and clearly are limiting their
liability.  It is a sad affair.  Our rights are not the only things
being taken from us in the name of 'protection':
----------------------------
Some quotes:

During the last 16 months, News 4 found a dozen passengers filed police
reports suggesting they were ripped off at TSA checkpoints. That
everything from cash to jewelery to cellphones and credit cards
disappeared after passing through DIA's security checkpoints.

http://news4colorado.com/investigates/local_story_194194943.html

Over the past several months, CBS News obtained dozens of police
reports involving screeners stealing from passengers, including some
very high-profile passengers. Sources say the victims include Susan
Lucci, Joan Rivers and Chevy Chase, who had his $10,000 Cartier watch
stolen from his bag.

More than two years after the TSA was created, it still has not
completed background checks on many of the screeners already working at
airports. Sources say if it had, it may have noticed Henry had four
Social Security numbers and a criminal conviction for shoplifting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/23/earlyshow/living/travel/main637669.shtml

Last week four screeners for the Transportation Security Administration
were arrested at Kennedy and La Guardia airports for stealing money,
jewelry and other valuables from checked bags. The agents were caught
in a sting operation after a torrent of complaints about luggage
thefts. These arrests likely represent only a fraction of the abuses
nationwide.

In April, four agents in Detroit were arrested for stealing laptop
computers, cameras and other items from checked luggage. In June, four
agents were arrested at the Fort Lauderdale, Fla., airport on charges
of stealing cameras, laptop computers, perfume, CD players and money.
Also in June, one screener was arrested in Philadelphia for stealing
$335 from a passenger passing through his checkpoint, and 13 screeners
were arrested in New Orleans on charges of stealing valuables from
checked luggage. Many have been suspended with full pay while awaiting
the outcome of the cases. According to the transportation agency, more
than 28,000 claims of loss or damage have been filed.

While there have been some successful prosecutions, in at least one
case the T.S.A. let a screener off the hook. Last year, video cameras
recorded a Miami screener stealing CD's from checked luggage. But
criminal charges were dropped after the screener's lawyer made it clear
that he planned to ask a government official about T.S.A. operations at
the trial.

The T.S.A. denies that a nationwide theft problem exists, and stresses
that the vast majority of its 45,000 employees have not been accused of
wrongdoing. It has nevertheless worked hard to limit its liability for
baggage thefts and damage. According to the Air Transport Association,
which represents the major United States airlines, the T.S.A. seeks to
limit its total liability to $3 million a year - regardless of how much
damage travelers incur.

Aug 11, 2004 10:24 am US/Eastern
NEW YORK (CBS) CBS 2 investigates a federal agent caught stealing on
camera. We've obtained exclusive videotape of a luggage screener at a
local airport that's a little disturbing, to say the least

http://cbsnewyork.com/investigates/local_story_224102913.html

The government is so determined to "protect" SSI that it chose, in
November 2003, to drop a criminal case against a former baggage
screener charged with stealing from a passenger's luggage. In a move
reminiscent of "graymail" in espionage cases, the federal prosecutor
withdrew the charges to avoid revealing details about security and
training procedures to the public.

http://www.ajr.org/article_printable.asp?id=3709

WASHINGTON - Last fall, Miami prosecutors thought they had a solid case
against a federal baggage screener who was caught on videotape stealing
CDs from passengers' luggage.

Just one small problem: The defense would be allowed to question a key
prosecution witness from the Transportation Security Administration
about Miami International Airport's security and training of baggage
screeners.

Fearing the testimony could put what the government calls Sensitive
Security Information in the hands of terrorists, prosecutors dropped
the
charges.
http://archives.californiaaviation.org/airport/msg30481.html