Re: dat and dds tapes

Subject: Re: dat and dds tapes
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:38:12 -0500
Aaron Ximm wrote:

> In my limited DAT field use, I have used ONLY DDS tapes with no problems.
> The Oade brothers I think used to say that the data-grade tapes were
> quality checked to a *higher* standard than the audio ones.

There's been arguments about whether the oxide formulation differes between
DAT (audio) and DDS (data).  My guess is that it all comes off the same
line.  One difference is that DDS has special leaders to identify which
kind of DDS tape it is (DDS-1, DDS-2, etc. and the lenght).  Audio DAT
stopped evolving earlier than DDS.  It's also likely that the price
difference is just volume (way more DDS tape sold), although there's
been discussion of some industry tax.

> The one warning I remember was to stick to the shorter tape lengths, as
> the longer ones could be thinner and hence less robust tape...

Thinner and therefore stretchier, so the tensioning, which is
controlled by torque to the hub and which varies with the diameter
of tape on the hubs.  If the tape stretches wrong over the heads,
then the distance between tracks can be wrong leading to
problems playing the tape on a different deck.  Also with
tapes longer than 60 meters, Sony DAT decks get very confused
about where on the tape they are when fast-forwarding over
unrecorded sections (so-called "unpacking").

-- Mike

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:29 2005
Message: 5