Re: dat and dds tapes

Subject: Re: dat and dds tapes
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:59:58 EDT
DDS tapes often came out of the center slit (better consistency) of the same
wide tape carrier that DAT tape came out of.  DDS is checked to a higher
standard for error rate than DAT tape. And it is indeed much cheaper due to the
larger market in computer backup tape drives, although those sources are
beginning to dry up.

Only use DDS type 1 tapes, don't try DDS 2 or higher.

DDS 1 60 meter tapes are the same amount of tape as a two hour DAT.  Anything
shorter than that uses the same tape thickness as the 60 meter/2 hour stock.

When you get to the DDS 1 90 meter tapes, that's the same amount of tape as a
180 minute DAT tape.  This DOES use a thinner tape base to squeeze that
amount of tape into the shell. Some DAT machines can handle this thinner stock
OK,
but many others misbehave with 90 meter tapes.  If you're only concerned about
your own deck playing back the tape, and it does OK for you, fine. If you're
concerned about future playability on other decks, I'd say avoid the 90 meter
DDS and 180 minute DAT tapes.

DDS 2 starts out at 120 meter, and uses yet a thinner tape stock. Avoid this
for audio DAT use.

I take issue with a previous writer's assertion that a one-pass tape would
have more gunk on it to deposit on your heads.  In my experience the opposite
is
true: one recording pass (or more) through a DAT tape improves its block
error rate, as any stray loose particles left from the manufacturing are
"calendared" off in the first recording pass. Think of it as "polishing" the
tape.  DAT
tapes, if handled carefully, can take hundreds of record/play passes without
increase in block error rate.

I do agree that fast winding the tape to the end and back is a good thing, it
packs the tape smoothly with a constant tension wind that matches the tape
guides in your deck. But there are a few machines out there (notably the HHB
Portadat) that won't wind past unrecorded tape, so if you want to shuttle tapes
before recording in a Portadat you'll have to fast forward in a different deck,
then put them in the Portadat to rewind.