Placing Mics in a Parabola

Subject: Placing Mics in a Parabola
From: "Daniel De Granville" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:25:38 -0400
Hi there folks,

I am still experimenting with the umbrella that I use as a parabolic reflector.
My question is, considering the Sennheiser ME62 (omni) mic, is there any
problem concerning how far off-axis the mic be placed, in relation to the
umbrella's central shaft? I am asking this because I've been trying to use a
test tube clamp in order to hold the mics in place (micS because I'm also doing
experiments with the Sony ECM-MS957 stereo mic), but this clamp is not able to
make the mic point precisely to the center of the "pseudo-parabola".

At first, one would  think that - since we're talking of an omni mic - this
off-axis placement wouldn't be a relevant issue. Am I right?

Thanks,

Daniel De Granville
Pantanal, Brazil