Re: Placing Mics in a Parabola

Subject: Re: Placing Mics in a Parabola
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:14:44 -0500
Rich Peet wrote:

> three types of off axis to consider.
> 1. off axis in from focus point.
> to be avoided in all uses because you will never find gain from the
> dish of any real value. The dish becomes only a shield and not an
> ideal shield for sound use.
>
> 2. off axis out from focus point.
> changes focus point to favor closer targets. The closer the target the
> farther the focus point is moved.
>
> 3. off axis to the side.
> moves target position to point on the opposite side. The farther out
> of ideal causes a loss in ideal gain. Target by ear to determine how
> far off you went. Technique is used for some stereo applications.

Rich and others,

I've never used a reflector before, as I'm mostly interested in stereo
environments. I read Klaus' paper describing the use of two pzms in a
parabola. What kind of stereo image can be achieved with a parabola and
a pair of more standard mics? Any field reports? Recommendations? Ideas
to try? Ideas to avoid?

Curt Olson