Re: Placing Mics in a Parabola

Subject: Re: Placing Mics in a Parabola
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:09:39 -0000
> Rich and others,
>
> I've never used a reflector before, as I'm mostly interested in
stereo
> environments. I read Klaus' paper describing the use of two pzms in
> parabola. What kind of stereo image can be achieved with a parabola
and
> a pair of more standard mics? Any field reports? Recommendations?
Ideas
> to try? Ideas to avoid?
>
> Curt Olson

Two different techniques with two results on 2 pzm's vs 2 separated
stereo mics.

Klas prefers the 2 pzm's and I prefer the 2 seperated.
Play with them and decide which you like.

pzm
On target subject is mono off and off target subjects are stereo.
advantage is that the target gets front and center image just like
the rock and roll bands on radio.  Disadvantage is that each channel
only sees 1/2 the dish and that translates to gain and sound
charecter changes.  Advantage is that there is no "hole in the
middle".

seperated omni mics
each mic is using the whole dish and picking up a different
direction.  Spaced correctly you get full gain with different distant
and narrow angle targets brought in to a duet.  By using the whole
dish for each image the quality of the sound is held as high as
possible. but, the disadvantages are that the image of heard sounds
on the sides without gain are image fliped and if there is only one
target it will never be up front and in the center. And there is a
hole in the middle of the image who's size changes with pitch of
sound and spacing of the mics.

Klas's papers need updating and revisions for other techniques.

Rich