Re: Patch Cable

Subject: Re: Patch Cable
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:59:19 -0000
Short answer: Don't put in a capacitor.

Long answer: The ME series mics will use phantom power if it is
available even if the battery switch is on. Any voltage source
voltage 0 to 55 volts is not going to effect the operation of a ME
series mic.  It will still give a loud click when phantom is turned
on or off even if the battery is turned on.  PIP is not enough power
to charge a ME-66 so the battery is needed.  A capacitor has a slight
effect in degrading the audio signal even if a good quality capacitor
is used.  I can see the argument that the PIP increases the noise of
a mic connect with a dirty connection and that may be minimized with
the capacitor.  Minidisc recorders with plug in power should have
gold plated connectors on the mini end to eliminate this problem. The
silver colored connectors are known to be the worst in this regard.
Radio Shack does sell inexpensive gold plated connectors. With these
connectors I wear through the gold in one recording season but still
prefer this over the use of a capacitor.

Rich Peet

http://www.trentu.ca/trentradio/audiosoup/as_cfrc040131/mic2minidisc.