Pilot's chorus

Subject: Pilot's chorus
From: "Mark Fischer" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:26:12 -0000
Hi everybody!

Have been spending time with Short-finned Pilots lately. The CD Wes
sent me from 'the Nature Company' has a recording on track 3 of Pilot
whales chorusing off the Channel Islands here in California. Some
recent results can be found at:

http://aguasonic.com/Science/Globicephala_macrorhynchus/

So, my question is: does anyone know about this behavior? I can not
find anything in the literature that discusses Pilot whales and their
chorus, why they do it, where they do it, how long they do it,
nothing. Now, Pilot whales are not as difficult to hang out with as,
say, Cuvier's Beaked whale- the US Navy uses them, they can be found
in most marine jails- I mean amusement parks- in short they have more
than occasional contact with people. In the wild they are downright
frisky, although coy. Surely someone on the list knows more about
Pilots? Care to share links, references, personal experiences? Has
anyone on the list ever _heard_ this chorus, other than as a recording?

Thanks,

Mark Fischer
Aguasonic Cetacean Acoustics