Re: HiMD woes (was: Only a question)

Subject: Re: HiMD woes (was: Only a question)
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 03:06:38 +0800
This technical war has been going on since DAT appeared and SCMS with
it...   variations on a theme:  freeing the consumer (and/or) locking
the consumer in a box.  I am very disappointed with Sony, as I have
been so many times.  (I suspect internal sony strife over these
issues)  But let's not throw the baby out w/ the bathwater:

The big excitement over HiMD is over the file transfer, but the most
basic functionality (recording) is still there even with the former
crippled.  I haven't checked, but perhaps there are full sized decks
with spdif out?  It's not as convenient, but it _would_ let you get
to the recordings without quality loss.

We still have:  long recording times, inexpensive (very)portable
recorders, easy powering with commodity batteries, easily accessible
recording media.

Sony throws the bathwater out, we keep the baby.

Spoken as someone still nursing a DAT habit, and accustomed to
playing the material into my computer.  It does give one an
opportunity to listen to everything recorded, which ain't always such
a bad thing.

-j

>So even analog input recordings will be encrypted?
>I thought I read that only the recordings of the
>digital input would be?
>
>--- Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>>
>>  Exactly, its hardest on the beginners, which is
>>  tragic. We ordered 60 HiiMD units very excited
>>  that the students could take one home for the
>>  semester, make panasonic wm-61a capsule mics,
>>  journey forth anytime they wish, do digital
>>  transfers on their PC's, upload sound files to
>>  the class server and basically get into some of
>>  the most rewarding aspects of field recording
>>  quickly. There are work-arounds, but beginners
>>  rightfully have a limited capacity for tech
>>  detail.
>>  [...]
>>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>Yahoo! Groups Links

jeremiah lyman moore | san francisco | sound+media |
http://babyjane.com/timeweb/
http://northstation.net/ organic, mechanized, organized sound