Re: HiMD woes (was: Only a question)

Subject: Re: HiMD woes (was: Only a question)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:20:07 -0400
From: Rob Danielson <>

> And one needs the patience and vision of a hawk too. Extraordinarily
> complex and bordering on depressing. Thanks much for the warning
> Aaron. Could Sony have made this more excruciating?

They are responding to the real market, which is by the song music
sales. The system is well designed for that. It is depressing, as I
doubt we will see much low cost gear that's not like this. The only
loopholes in the law are for pro gear. Everyone will be forced to start
with pro gear, which will seriously discourage new folks getting into
nature recording.

Since I'm already committed to using pro gear I'm not personally that
upset. I just await the arrival of the pro gear in HiMD. I'm sure with
time it will arrive. I'm, in fact, more optimistic as the production of
HiMD means that MD will be around longer, is being improved. We may yet
avoid being stuck recording with some computer accessory.