Re: HiMD woes (was: Only a question)

Subject: Re: HiMD woes (was: Only a question)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:34:37 -0500
At 1:20 PM -0400 7/18/04, Walter Knapp wrote:
>From: Rob Danielson <>
>
>>  And one needs the patience and vision of a hawk too. Extraordinarily
>>  complex and bordering on depressing. Thanks much for the warning
>>  Aaron. Could Sony have made this more excruciating?
>
>They are responding to the real market, which is by the song music
>sales. The system is well designed for that. It is depressing, as I
>doubt we will see much low cost gear that's not like this. The only
>loopholes in the law are for pro gear. Everyone will be forced to start
>with pro gear, which will seriously discourage new folks getting into
>nature recording.
>
>Since I'm already committed to using pro gear I'm not personally that
>upset. I just await the arrival of the pro gear in HiMD. I'm sure with
>time it will arrive. I'm, in fact, more optimistic as the production of
>HiMD means that MD will be around longer, is being improved. We may yet
>avoid being stuck recording with some computer accessory.
>
>Walt

Exactly, its hardest on the beginners, which is tragic. We ordered 60
HiiMD units very excited that the students could take one home for
the semester, make panasonic wm-61a capsule mics, journey forth
anytime they wish, do digital transfers on their PC's, upload sound
files to the class server and basically get into some of the most
rewarding aspects of field recording quickly. There are work-arounds,
but beginners rightfully have a limited capacity for tech detail.

Its also about buying products with value. There seems to be a
considerable market that is perhaps even more passionate/educated
about portable recording than some pros. With money to invest, they
understand that putting $800 into mics might get more quality than
$800 into a pro recorder. There are not enough high value products
and hacks out there for this market today, but there will be more and
its beneficial to us all to direct folks to the good stuff that
surfaces. I'm hoping Sony has recognized their error as Dave pointed
us to, but, right, the manuf's will still withhold features to create
niches. I wrote Sony and told tell em our niche deserves more
respect. Rob D.

  = = = =