Re: Digest Number 1437

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1437
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:48:34 -0400
From: Vicki Powys <>

> Yes I agree Walt, it seems the Iomega Zip CD burner that I have, does not
> support Disc at Once.
>
> Toast though does make "proper" (if no-frills) audio CDs.  I know because
> the master CD that I make gets mass-duplicated for our Australian Wildlife
> Sound Recording Group, and it apparently plays, no hassles, on everyone's CD
> player.

Including mine, and a enjoyable CD it is. I've been enjoying the frog
issue that was sent to me.

> Jam no doubt can make continuous burns, but not if the CD burner didn't
> support that function.

It's really generally not the burner itself, but the driver software
that's the problem. You might want to dig into Roxio's support section
and see if they have updated the driver.

> To upgrade to a new CD burner that has Disc At Once capability (I see that
> the latest LaCie CD burner does have DAO capability) that means buying the
> burner, upgrading my OS system from 9.0 to to 9.1 minimum, and upgrading my
> version of Toast to 5 or higher.  It's all like a dog chasing its tail, I'll
> never catch up!  Guess I'll stick with what I've got and get the most I can
> out of it, until my little old iMac falls apart.  From your descriptions
> Walt, I'm not looking forward to OSX!

A little warning, I still have two perfectly functional Mac Plus's here.
If you wait for a mac to wear out you will wait forever. I really hate
abandoning a perfectly functional machine, but that's what the computer
world is like. I generally wait until something critical forces the
issue, but when I jump I go as high as I can to keep from having to do
it often. I may be using OSX, but right now I'm doing it on a machine
designed for OS 8. In another year or so I'll buy my first true OSX machine.

I know what you mean about upgrades. Before I went to OSX I coasted on
upgrades for a while. And it was painful catching up, though I combined
that with the transition. OSX works, but it's no mac OS. Somewhere in
between the mac OS and windows, a major portion of the mac capability is
there in a different form, but there are some glaring omissions in some
of the most trivial spots. Do not convert when you have a deadline and
you will do fine. Even better, do it with a new machine and you will
have the old one to keep going on while you get up to speed.

There is no hope that the mac OS will continue. Sooner or later you have
to move on. I even considered going windows. Briefly.

> My other continuing problem in audio CD burning is that the burner, for
> about 3 or 4 out of every 10 CDs, inexplicably fails mid-burn.  I've tried
> everything to overcome this, but it seems to be just a USB 1 problem.  Need
> a new computer to solve it.

The most likely problem is that your path from hard disk to burner is
marginal for speed and you underrun the buffer. Yes, the USB is probably
part of it. I've always used SCSI burners, and fast SCSI hard disks so
have not had problems that way.

Note in new macs you can have built in burning with the superdrive
DVD/CD unit. I expect your cheapest way out is to start fresh with a new
mac. You'll still have to update all your software, but at least all the
hardware will be compatible.

> I did get as far as obtaining a CD (9 MB) with the necessaries to upgrade to
> OS 9.1, except that one of the files would not transfer to the desktop,
> namely the CD folder, not sure if that is significant or not.

That's so old I'm not even sure I could find my disks for it. I'm way
out of touch on that now.