Re: BBC radio series - The Sound of Life

Subject: Re: BBC radio series - The Sound of Life
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:09:19 +1000
Or in some cases, Bernie, having evolved a sound signature, then adapted it
as a signal.

Pademelons, species of Thylogale, are miniature kangaroos - maximum
head-body length no more than half a metre.  The Red-necked Pademelon (T.
thetis) was common in the rainforest of Tamborine Mountain in southern
Queensland where I grew up.  They move on all four legs when moving slowly
but, like kangaroos, hop on their two hind legs for a faster gait.  They
have definite pathways through the forest that they follow, recognisable by
the thinning or absence of leaf litter resulting from their use.

Normally their hopping gait is silent, but they audibly thump as they hop as
an alarm signal.  (Rabbits also thump?)

BTW, pademelons do not use the quinqipedal slow gait of the big kangaroos:
3,2,3,2,... - alternating tail + forelegs, and hindlegs.

Syd Curtis in Brisbane, Australia