Re: BBC radio series - The Sound of Life

Subject: Re: BBC radio series - The Sound of Life
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:36:33 -0400
From: ANDREW CARTER <>

> Hi all -
> If you are interested the BBC have just started an 8
> part series on sounds - past present and future to
> quote the blurb. Todays started with water and  ended
> with the probable first animal to use sound for
> communication - Walt will be pleased they suggest a
> frog!

That's because they are land vertebrate centric. Frogs were way late in
the game. So, they are way wrong.

On land insects were probably the first to use sound in a organized way
for communication. In water their equivalents the same.

In vertebrates, fish use sound. Their lateral line system and other
sensor systems are vibration/sound pickups. Some appear to use sound
communication, they certainly deliberately produce sound.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:28:02 2005
Message: 16=20=20=20=20=20=20=20