Re: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there

Subject: Re: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there
From: Tim Gray <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:41:44 -0400
I actually own both the 2882 (8 channel unit) and the ULN2 (2 channel=20
unit).  The 8 channel unit has one problem with it.  The preamps are=20
rated up to 42 db of gain, but in practice, noise sets in past 25 db of =

gain.  Mind you, they sound great, but with low sensitivity mics, they=20
are really only suitable on loud sounds (rock bands, etc.).  I've heard =

on the mhlabs mailing list that some get great results with high=20
sensitivity mics, but i have a feeling for nature recording, more clean =

gain in the preamp section is needed.  Everything else about the unit=20
is stellar.  The flexibility in routing and powering is fantastic and=20
the converters are really stellar.  Mind you, the unit also has 10=20
digital ins/outs available as well.

The ULN2 is a 2 channel unit with about 70 db of clean, clean gain=20
available.  It was designed in response to the lack of gain available=20
on the 2882.  It actually has 2 digital inputs as well, but for 4 track =

recording, one would have to bring along a pair of external pres and=20
A/D's.  This unit is really nice if you are looking for only 2=20
channels.

These units are nice/unique for 3 reasons.  First they are very=20
flexible in their power requirements.  They can be powered over=20
firewire from your computer, traditionally from the wall, and also from =

battery packs.  The ULN2 even has a 4 pin XLR power receptacle.  As far =

as power consumption, last weekend I recorded about an hour of audio=20
through the ULN2 with two schoeps (cmc6's), all powered from my=20
powerbook's battery before I ran out of juice.  Secondly, they have the =

amazing flexibility for routing signals.  Any input can be routed to=20
any output and there are multiple internal mixes that can be routed to=20
any output as well.  If you purchase one of the +DSP units, you also=20
have available (with the same routing abilities) several plugins - eq,=20
limiters, compressors, M/S with little latency.  Finally, the console=20
program that runs on the host computer has a no-frills multi-track=20
recorder which has been VERY stable for me and from what I've read,=20
many others.

Sorry if this sounds a bit too enthusiastic.  I've been very happy with =

my units, and a lot of others that have them like them as well.  They=20
really are fabulous for the price, with the exception of the pres on=20
the 2882.  These things should really only be rated for 25 db of gain.  =

If you pick one up knowing that from the beginning, I think you would=20
be very happy.  If you don't know about this, and you are expecting the =

2882 to fully free you from external pres, then, especially for quiet=20
sources, you will be unhappy.  I would recommend joining the mhlabs=20
mailing list if you are interested.

Tim