Re: for all you high end surround heads out there

Subject: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:02:05 -0500
Lang Elliott wrote:

> The Cooper-Bauck method is one of a number of techniques designed to redu=
ce
> crosstalk for speaker playback of binaural recordings.
> There is a great discussion of this in Part 2 of the following article:
> www.harman.com/wp/pdf/HowManyChannels.pdf

Which has this paragraph:

>  In the 1980=92s Duane Cooper and Jerald Bauck focused on the
>   original problem of  accurate binaural playback and developed
>   a series of improvements that made speakerbased listening more
>   practical and economical.  These patented innovations resulted
>   in a  system that is simpler to implement than the Atal and
>   Schroeder original, that is less  demanding of the listening
>   environment, that is more tolerant of head movements,
>   and  that degrades =93gracefully=94 as the listener moves
>  out of the sweet spot. ...

I just played back some of the demo and tried pivoting on
my chair and notice what happens to the image when the axis
of the ears is parallel to the center axis of the speaker
pair.  The illusion of wider-than-the-speakers soundstage
disappears.  A little front-back discrimination remains,
but it sounds like it's coming from a pair of loudspeakers
off to the side.  Rotating 180 degrees restores some of
the soundstage imaging, but it is not as convincing as
facing the speakers, and not as wide.

Thinking about how the crosstalk cancelation works, the
90 degree rotation would require a different set of
cancellation corrections -- nearer and farer instead of
left to right.  I suppose it could be done, but anything
that's based on listener position and orientation really
isn't reporducing the original soundfield in the listening
space.

-- Mike