Re: Sound Professionals cardioids?

Subject: Re: Sound Professionals cardioids?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:42:13 -0500
Hi =D8ivind--
SP usually makes pretty good recommendations. I
haven't tried this mic (AT835). Spec-wise, its on
par with your MS-957 with a sensitivity of 6.3 mV
re 1V at 1 Pa and self noise of 27dB(A), but for
big, wide spaces, I'd suggest two omni mics as
they have less off-axis coloration than
cardioids. Off-axis coloration is dullness in the
high frequencies for sounds that are not right in
front of the mics.

The Shure 183's are small lavs and they have
considerably better specs (21dB(A) inherent
noise; sensitivity 42/mv/Pa) and do come with an
omni capsule option. The high output means you
won't have to crank the gain on the MD pre as
high and that is relevant or the type of
recording you are talking about.  The 183's don't
come in a package ready to plug into an MD mic
input.  You might ask SP if they'd consider
modifying some Shure 183 caps for MD mic plug in
power and selling them to you. Otherwise, it
takes buying two ($40 each) capsules
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=3Ddetails&index=3DY&kw=3D=
SHR183B&is=3DREG&Q=3D&O=3Dproductlist&sku=3D156934
and two ($50 each) C122 cartridge holders with 4' cable and TA-4 connector:
http://www.shure.com/accessories/c122.asp?P=3Dacc-microflex&PN=3DMicroflex
Then you have to solder an adapter from TA-4 to
your MD 3.5mm stereo plug. Takes soldering skill
and some wiring savy. Let us know what you decide
on how they work for you. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D