Re: after workshop question

Subject: Re: after workshop question
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 13:24:18 -0400
The nice thing about Q10 is that it allows for very high Q values, which
translates into very narrow notches. For my work, I only use such software
for notching. I rarely if ever use it for gentle boosts or cuts of broad
frequency ranges, although Q10 does perform that admirably.

The folks at bias-inc.com have a plug-in called Bias Superfreq that does a
reasonable job of notch filtering. It is only available, I  believe, for the
Mac platform.

I'll check out Equim and Firium. I wonder what Q values they allow when
doing notches.

Lang

From: Lang Elliott <>

> If the unwanted sound is at a different frequency from the wanted sound, it
> is possible to reduce it considerably by using a narrow notch filter such as
> the Q10 plug-in from www.waves.com. Try the smallest Q value possible to
> keep the notch-width to a minimum. First boost the notch and drag it to the
> right and left, listening for where the unwanted sound becomes the loudest.
> Then drag the notch straight down to reduce the sound. Play your recording
> again and compare the notched version with a unfiltered version (using the
> bypass button) to make sure your wanted sound has not changed much in
> quality or quantity. If everything sounds good, then process the recording.
> Reducing a narrow notch of frequency usually has little audible effect on
> the rest of your recording.

Another couple of filters that have recently become available are Equium
and Firium. They have considerably more capability than the Q10, at
least from what I've heard about Q10. I recently added them to my
collection. Available in RTAS, VST or AudioUnit form (you get all
three). Mac or Windows.

Equium, is the more similar to Q10, here's their feature list:
Processing
    * Unlimited number of fully overlappable bands
    * Supports sampling rates up to 192 kHz
    * Works with mono or stereo
    * Apply different filters to each channel
    * 11 filter types available:
      Traditional: peaking/parametric, low/high pass, 2 low/high shelf,
band pass
      Specialty: 4 and 8 harmonic parametrics, notch
    * Controllable frequency, gain, bandwidth, and harmonic decay; turn
off selected harmonics per filter (where applicable)
    * Activate/deactivate filters on the fly
    * Processing power only used for active filters
    * Solo individual filters
    * Output peak hold meters with clip indicators
    * Stereo output trim fader with +/- 24 dB boost/cut
    * Multi-processor/Advanced multi-processor (AMP) capable
Interface
    * Adjust filter settings using sliders, dragging a filter's handles
on the filtergraph, or using arrows to nudge
    * Lock individual parameters from editing
    * Customizable frequency response display:
      Show only the selected filter, turn off filter handles, show/hide
plot labels/scale, turn off graph shading
    * Zoom in or out on the frequency response display
General
    * Integrated SAVE and LOAD
    * Load previously saved filters/EQs into an established EQ
    * Two workspaces
    * Delete unused filters
    * Copy settings to other workspace or completely clear them
    * Presets including:
      - Hum/AC Line Noise Removal
      - Telephone Filter
      - Rumble and DC Filter
      - Pseudo Stereo
    * Flexible parameter automation mechanism
    * Plug-In formats supported:
      Mac OS X:VST, Audio Unit (AU), RTAS
      Windows: VST, RTAS

Firium is a little harder to describe. It's basically a Linear Phase EQ
with extensive extras. Quoting Elemental Audio:
"Firium builds a complex FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filter to your
specifications."
Firium's feature list:
Processing
    * Linear phase mastering EQ plug-in
    * Supports sampling rates up to 192 kHz
    * Spectrum Matching
    * Automation support (using States)
    * Work with each channel individually
    * Four channel linking modes:
      Lock - edit the left and right together
      Weak - edits to one channel cause a similar change on other
      Strong - edits to one channel cause identical change on other
      None - no relationship between channels
      Reverse - edits to one channel cause a reverse effect on the
other (used with Weak or Strong)
    * Dynamically change the width of an EQ curve
    * Output peak hold meters with clip indicators
    * Output trim fader with +/- 18 dB boost/cut
    * Altivec/Velocity engine optimizations
    * Multi-processor compatible
Interface
    * Built-in spectrum analyzer (with pause)
    * States overview display
    * Draw EQ curve freehand or by dragging one of fifty control points
    * Large, customizable frequency response display:
      show input/output, both or neither; turn control points off/on;
show/hide inactive channel
    * Control coupling display to visualize and select how changes to
one control point will affect nearby points
    * History slider to easily browse and compare prior EQs
    * Curve smooth slider
    * Curve scale slider
    * Shift entire EQ curve in frequency or gain
    * Curve invert
    * Clear/zero an EQ
    * Zoom in to +/- 6dB
General
    * Integrated SAVE and LOAD
    * Two workspaces
    * Copy settings to other workspace or completely clear them
    * Plug-In formats supported:
      Mac OS X:VST, Audio Unit (AU), RTAS
      Windows: VST, RTAS

Anyway, a link: