Re: after workshop question

Subject: Re: after workshop question
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:28:41 -0400
If the unwanted sound is at a different frequency from the wanted sound, it
is possible to reduce it considerably by using a narrow notch filter such as
the Q10 plug-in from www.waves.com. Try the smallest Q value possible to
keep the notch-width to a minimum. First boost the notch and drag it to the
right and left, listening for where the unwanted sound becomes the loudest.
Then drag the notch straight down to reduce the sound. Play your recording
again and compare the notched version with a unfiltered version (using the
bypass button) to make sure your wanted sound has not changed much in
quality or quantity. If everything sounds good, then process the recording.
Reducing a narrow notch of frequency usually has little audible effect on
the rest of your recording.

Lang

Rob;

Hi.  Thanks for the answer.  But I guess what I want to know is the
theoretical answer.  Not a how to - you and Rich covered that quite well I
think.

I'll try again.  I am talking about the relationship between the recorded
sounds.  Not how to get rid of any particular sound.  In the real world
there are two sounds one that is wanted one that is not.  Upon recording the
unwanted sound overrides the wanted sound so much that it is inaudible.
What I want to know is if the unwanted sound is filtered out, will the
wanted sound appear, or is it lost.

Does that make sense?

And from the post from Rich he made me think that there may be differences
depending on which sound is higher or lower in frequency.  And also
harmonics would make it different as you just pointed out.

Thanks.

Eric