Re: Re: after workshop question

Subject: Re: Re: after workshop question
From: Eric Benjamin <>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:04:01 -0700 (PDT)
Su,

Since I do use CoolEdit, I'll take a try at this.

There are at least two useful filtering functions in
CoolEdit.  Under Effects; Filters, there are a
Parametric Equalizer, and also Scientific Filters.
They do somewhat similar things but they have a
different approach to life.

The scientific filters module filters your signal
according to precisely defined types of filters.  If
you can express your filtering problem in terms like:
I want a filter that rolls off everything below this
frequency at 24 dB/octave, but I only want 0.1 dB
ripple in the part of the signal that remains, then
this module is the one that you want.

But I don't get the impression that is your approach.

You might want to try the Parametric equalizer.  It
allows you to either shelf filter, which basically
means to boost or cut all of the signal components
below a specified frequency (or above a specified
frequency).  Or you can filter just a band of
frequencies, either narrow or broad, by using sliders
to set the frequency and the amount of cut or boost.

There ARE a LOT of controls, but don't be intimidated.
 Just make sure that your original file is archived
somewhere, and experiment.  This module not only has a
response graph that shows you what you are doing, but
it also has a preview button that allows you to hear
the changes as you make them.  When you have
accomplished what you want you select OK, and then the
equalization is done (semi)permanenetly.  There is an
undo button.

Questions?

Eric

--- Dan Dugan <> wrote:

---------------------------------
Su Anderson, you asked,

>Dan. Can you explain how to do the high pass filter?
I have Cool
>Edit.

Level adjustments and high-pass filtering are the most
basic
processing you can do, and very valuable to learn. I
don't know Cool
Edit, so someone else will have to give the
instructions.

-Dan Dugan

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,