Re: Best Transfer method

Subject: Re: Best Transfer method
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 12:18:28 -0700 (PDT)
Re: cables, Walt wrote:

> I use a 6' optical cable, and have a 12' one. I've seen 20' ones. That
> should be plenty long enough. True digital coax seems rarer around here
> than the optical ones.

It's worth mentioning that in a pinch I've never had a problem using
conventional audio RCA cables over short distances, at least none that
I've ever been able to heard.

I did just invest in 10' "digital SPDIF" cables made by HOSA at the Guitar
Center near here (moved my computer out of my studio and into another
room, cut a hole in the wall... cheaper than an isolation box! :) ) and
was pleasantly surprised that they were about the same cost as normal old
XLR cables etc.  I've never been a big fan of HOSA cables but these are
reassuringly solid and are working perfectly.

The different btw as far as I recall is that cables made for SPDIF have a
75 ohm impedance, like component video cables -- which also reminds me, I
believe you can use the yellow leg of a red/white/yellow audio-visual
cable such as connects your VCR to your TV, it's the "right" cable!

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org