Re: Sample Rate Conversion

Subject: Re: Sample Rate Conversion
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:38:28 -0400
Walt:

If you have a Mac computer running on OS9, then I suspect you're aware that
you can get ProTools software for free from www.digidesign.com. The free
software will run on your Mac (and I think it also works on certain PCs)
without the need of a hardware peripheral.

I suspect that the sample rate conversion algorithm is the same as with
Digidesign's other versions of the software. That would give you the choice
of "tweakhead conversion"  from this industry standard professional audio
editing software.

Lang

From: "Michael McInnis" <>

> Yeah...what was I thinking?
>
> My software, the little known Saw Studio, does realtime sample rate
> conversion, so I can use this method for comparison purposes on the
> different settings within the one program...unfortunately, this doesn't work
> for the task at hand.

Spark XL resamples on the fly when playing a soundfile, converting and
sending out at the rate setting we have set for the output. It in fact
flashes a warning when it's resampling. So, for instance I can listen to
the original 48khz file and the 44khz derivatives back and forth. And
watch the sonogram too. Spark XL can run virtually all it's filtering
processes, even combinations in realtime. Then when we are happy with
the results it runs more elaborate math to produce the final file.
Sometimes that final file sounds slightly better than expected, most of
the time it sounds the same as the realtime listening.

> What one could find out is how damaging the round trip would be...48k to 44k
> to 48k again.  It might help in evaluating where each software is "putting"
> the errors.  This might have some meaning for software only conversions.

It is one way to evaluate the conversion software. As long as we
remember we are evaluating both directions at once. Personally I depend
primarily on listening to the converted file. And doing sonograms in detail.

Walt

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."