Re: Sample Rate Conversion

Subject: Re: Sample Rate Conversion
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:48:16 -0400
From: Lang Elliott <>

> Walt:
>
> If you have a Mac computer running on OS9, then I suspect you're aware that
> you can get ProTools software for free from www.digidesign.com. The free
> software will run on your Mac (and I think it also works on certain PCs)
> without the need of a hardware peripheral.
>
> I suspect that the sample rate conversion algorithm is the same as with
> Digidesign's other versions of the software. That would give you the choice
> of "tweakhead conversion"  from this industry standard professional audio
> editing software.

I can still boot into OS9, I preserved my entire OS9 hard disk when I
moved to OS10, so I can boot into a fully functional OS9 without
problems. However, it's very rare I do so. I'm working on making OSX
work stand alone, not even using any OS9 apps in it if possible. This
because everything apple has said over the last few years makes it clear
they intend to completely abandon OS9 and it's apps. So, reluctantly,
I'm rebuilding my computing ability as entirely OSX.

I downloaded the free ProTools some time back when I was still using
OS9. I was not impressed, would only consider it if I was using one of
the soundcards tied to it. And I try to avoid single software hardware.
Even back then, Spark XL was easier to use and did the same job. On top
of that I'd never judge a program on it's cut down version, and the full
up ProTools get's pretty pricy. At least when I tried to sort out
putting together one. I can do what I need to do a lot cheaper. ProTools
is available OSX, but it appears to have gotten more expensive if
anything. And does not support the particular model G4 I'm using.

On top of Spark XL I also recently invested in Elemental Audio Systems's
Equium and Firium, which I found as a result of using their free
product, Inspector. I've yet to get fully up to speed on those two, but
they are very impressive:
http://www.elementalaudio.com/products/index.html
There is a version of those for ProTools, and they come in both mac and
windows. I use the VST and AudioUnit versions. They run in both the Peak
and SparkXL environments on my mac.

All part of my setting up and testing tools for the G5 I'll buy in a
year or two. A fully OSX only setup will be necessary so I'm not even
looking at OS9 stuff. Taking all my pain at once.

Actual conversion of sample rate is something I have no need. I use a
recorder that records at the CD standard rate. I bring the digital
output of that in directly with no resampling. And, the only audio disks
I make now are CD's. If, sometime in the future that changes, I've
already shown I have a capable program to do the conversion.