Re: Guideline suggestions

Subject: Re: Guideline suggestions
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 18:58:46 -0000
We are just starting one for MN as well.
I look forward to talking with you in more detail next week about it.

Basic Guidelines we are starting with.
1. encourage submissions from everyone in any method possible with
any equipment available.
2. Submissions are made up to 5 megs per wave file at 44.1/16 by e-
mail. Limited assistance is available for those that can run a
recorder but not an e-mail program.
3. If needed, waves can be broken to enable e-mail in 5 meg chunks.
2. Only submissions recorded within the state are allowed in this
collection.
3. A small "qualifying" group of people are setup to occasionally
meet and review the current "un-qualified" submissions for possible
inclusion into the library.  The sound will be accepted if it meets
accuracy and quality standards. A new submission will replace an old
if it is better than the current limited number of calls, songs,
alarms, whispers, etc for each species.
4. Submissions are received by e-mail to an account that
the "qualifying" group has. Each qualifier that receives e-mail from
this account becomes a backup for the entire library. E-mails will
remain on the server for 21 days as agreed by each qualifier.
5. Data is contained and restricted to what can be maintained within
the meta file of a .wav file.
6. File names and e-mail subject lines are the 4 letter species code.
7. Copyright remains with the recordist with permission made for non-
profit use by the library.
8, Editing of sound is allowed but must be disclosed what was done.

We have not made it to the point of being visible yet as we are
building a core library.

Rich

--- In  "1GDW" <> wrote:
> I am requesting feedback to questions regarding bird sound
> recordings that would be submitted and subsequently stored with the
> Iowa Ornithologists' Union records committee.  At present there are
> no archived sound files of the states birds.  I am requesting
> comments that would helpful in establishing guidelines for the
> recordists and committee members.  The guideline for the recordist
> could help identify pertinent information about the sound.  I
> realize that no one can foresee the future but I think the
financial
> and technical resources of the committee will dictate storage
> options.  Should the committee only except files in a digital
> format?   I think I am asking, should there be a minimal
requirement