Re: Guideline suggestions

Subject: Re: Guideline suggestions
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 21:01:19 -0400
From: "1GDW" <>

> The feedback to this point has been very good and I am sure the
> comments will make it into the guideline.
>  I am confused about this comment Walt, would you please expand your
> thought a bit more .
> "Avoid a system that's based on some sort of limited statistical
> requirements. I've seen far too many field surveys that are very poor
> because of limitations placed in the name of pretty statistics.
> 1GDW

The usual temptation is to get into placing a statistical protocol to
determine population density. Any way I've seen this done restricts
observation time very severely, it skews the very results wanted.
Generally this is done by folks who are not familiar with the field
behavior of all the species involved.

You want people to be able to submit whatever they find regardless of
protocol. And have a expectation it will be considered a serious submission.

I actually had a specific example in mind when making that statement,
that's the US national frogcall survey. Which has a very restricted
protocol that will miss most species. The database that survey is
generating is already producing regulatory decisions that are severely
flawed. It's designed to generate population densities, but instead
picks up only partial data with no way of knowing how much was missed.

Some statistical data can be gained from a library such as you propose.
But, it's not really the prime purpose and should not drive the
acceptance of submissions. We simply know too little field biology to
know what we are looking for well enough. You will make rules for
submission, but you need to be sure they are open enough to let in all
usable data. Not just data tied to a specific statistical goal. The
library you are proposing is a database of observations, keep it complete.

I don't know if that clears it up for you or not. I'm just someone
familiar with the use and misuse of statistics. Far too often misused.