Re: Guideline suggestions

Subject: Re: Guideline suggestions
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:04:23 -0400
I realized there is something else I should point out for anyone
considering setting up a sound library.

Now, and increasingly in the future you will get video submissions.
Sound and pictures. These cannot to dealt with by sticking them on a
audio CD or into a computer audio file. While a lot of the video will
not be worth it, some will be very valuable.

For instance, I can come up with a nice audio of the mockingbird who
claims the middle part of our front field. But a video will show the
little stylized dances and so on that some calls have. Many of the calls
are connected to specific movements. The audio is very limited in
telling the whole story of his calling, which is as entertaining to
watch as to listen.

I've resisted so far getting into doing video, with the frogs I deal
with it would be a very serious challenge. To say nothing of the added
cost. But I've already had correspondence with one person who is setting
up a frog website that will be streaming video of the frogs calling.

The Georgia Herp Atlas did allow video documentation, and they did get
some documentation that way. Though no frogs.

That's part of the future of nature recording. In fact probably a more
important way than surround sound.