Re: HI !

Subject: Re: HI !
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:20:11 -0400
From: "Andrew Carter" <>

> After a few days of reading the postings, I'm getting confused by the hi-=
tec
> nature of some postings. So expect some dumb questions in due course.
> Apologies in advance.

We are mostly lower tech than we might sound. There are no dumb questions.

> In the mean time can any one direct me to a quick giude on stereo
> recording - I'm due to visit some sea bird colonies in June and would rat=
her
> like to have a go at recording all that noise - sorry, glorious sound!

The New Stereo Soundbook by RON STREICHER and F. ALTON EVEREST
http://www.stereosoundbook.com/

A good, minimally technical coverage of stereo recording techniques. A
reference I return to often. Will provide a sound basis for working in
stereo.

The tricky part for nature recording is almost all stereo techniques
were designed for indoor situations. Or at least acoustically much
simpler situations than we face. Texts and so on can help, but we often
have to modify the techniques. Understanding the basis of how stereo
works is important.