Re: Re: howdy... FTP server, FLAC

Subject: Re: Re: howdy... FTP server, FLAC
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:49:16 +1000
Evert wrote from Holland:

> Some, just some, are still
> on dial up because it is available for free.

It sure is different in Australia!  There is nothing free about my dial-up
connection!  I pay $11 a month for 10 hours internet time and the transfer
rate is 24000 bps, i.e. extremely slow.  This is typical for all rural folk
across Australia.  We reckon we're lucky to have any sort of phone
connection.  Different in cities of course, but who wants to live there?!

Vicki Powys
Australia

on 28/4/04 8:22 AM, Evert Veldhuis at  wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Welcome!
>
> To answer your question, I have cable modem. In Holland a lot of
> usersa re on cable; others are on ADSL. Some, just some, are still
> on dial up because it is available for free.
> But it is also so 1990ies... :)
>
> For uncompressed it is WAV only, for compressed ATRAC (on MD) or MP3
> on disk...
>
> Regards, Evert ( http://members.home.nl/mistermouse/ )
>
> --- In  "Mike" <> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious how many members have a better than dial up connection?
>> Anyone using lossless compression like FLAC or SHN?
>>
>> I have bandwidth and disk space (many GB's) to dedicate to the
> group
>> through an FTP server. Is there anyone out there interested in
>> sharing recordings this way?
>>
>> -Mike
>

> "Microphones are not ears,
> Loudspeakers are not birds,