Re: emulating birdsong with a synthesiser design program

Subject: Re: emulating birdsong with a synthesiser design program
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:06:34 -0700
Reminds me of a call I got from the Disney folks a couple of years
ago after sending me on a trip to Costa Rica to record natural sounds
for a project they were doing. The fellow who called (a friend and
colleague who will remain nameless) was desperate. He had just
received a memo from Disney corporate ordering him to empty out and
destroy the contents the storage room where they had collected one of
the most unbelievable archives of sound that began in 1938. Aside
from efx, it included rare birds, natural soundscapes, mammals,
insects, etc., etc. When he asked why, corporate apparently responded
that any 8-year old with a Mac and midi synth could recreate the
sound of a rainforest or a desert, that the room was needed for
storage, and they therefore didn't need the collection any more. It
was ordered destroyed. I was called in an attempt to rescue the
collection, but I had no room where we live and breathe for more than
what we have. As far as I know, it's gone now.

I began what there is of my career emulating natural sounds (hear our
first Warner Brother's record, In A Wild Sanctuary, 1970, and which
is still available) on synthesizer and quickly found that nothing can
compare, aurally, creatively, aesthetically, texturally, to the
melifluous and delicate fabric of what already exists within the fold
of the natural world. Yeah. We're pretty good at getting close, but
it still ain't a Cuban cigar, folks.

Bernie

--

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.