Re: stereo parabola field test

Subject: Re: stereo parabola field test
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:24:28 -0400
Martyn:

Yes, I am saying you can actually get a better monaural recording by mixing
down the two stereo channels, but only if your target bird is focused well
in the parabola (a nice aspect of the stereo barrier setup pictured on my
web site is that the elements of both mikes are essentially well within the
focal point of the parabola, thus there is no loss in signal level of the
song of the bird that is being focused).

I only useMKH 20s, but the same should apply to any mike, and the 3db noise
reduction also should apply to the noise floors of the mikes themselves,
when they are audible.

Tomorrow, if I have time, I will post the two "raw" recordings I used for
the analysis I described.

Lang

p.s. Remember that the "stereo ambience effect" of my stereo parabola is no=
due to reflections from the parabola itself; it is primarily due to the
direct reception of the incoming signals by the microphones. A simple
demonstration is to remove the parabola and record ambience only using the
stereo barrier setup. The result is very impressive stereo. The parabola is
added to boost the signals from birds (or other animals) it is aimed at,
relative to the stereo ambience itself.

So what you are saying here Lang is go out and record in stereo always usin=
the MKH20s? And if you want monaural recordings of species, mix down from
Stereo?
Have you done this test with other mics?

Do you have the samples that you could post to the group?

Martyn

Martyn Stewart
Bird and Animal Sounds Digitally Recorded at:
http://www.naturesound.org
N47.65543   W121.98428
Redmond. Washington. USA
Make every Garden a wildlife Habitat!