moles

Subject: moles
From: "Rachael Greaves" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:28:27 +0000
Hello,

I'm doing some research on the ecology of moles. I wondered if I could pick=

your brains. Knowing what moles are up to in their tunnels is (obviuously!)=

not terribly easy. People have radiotracked them (sticking a radiotag on th=
mole then picking up the signal with a reciever on the surface) but the tag=
don't stay on very long and it's not particularly nice for the mole. I have=

been thinking about the possibility of using the sound of the mole
digging/running along its tunnels/possibly eating as a way of monitoring it=
activity. Some subterranean mammals also use accoustic and/or seismic
communication though it's not known if the mole does.

Has anyone ever tried listening to/recording underground animal noises? If=

so did it work?! Does any one have any suggestions for equipment?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rachael

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger