RE: moles

Subject: RE: moles
From: "Ranft, Richard" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:18:34 +0100
Rachael

You should read up on the literature on mole-rats, kangaroo rats. For
example:

**Bruckmann, G. B., H. (1997). "Hearing in blind subterranean Zambian
mole-rats (Cryptomys sp.): collective behavioural audiogram in a highly
social rodent. J. Comp. Physiol. A., 181, 83-88." .
**Credner, S., Burda, H. & Ludescher, F. (1997). "Acoustic communication
underground: Vocalization characteristics in subterranean social mole-rats
(Cryptomys sp., Bathyergidae). J. Comp. Physiol. A., 180, 245-255." .
**Heth, G., E. Frankenberg, et al. (1987). "Vibrational Communication in
subterranean mole rats (Spalax ehrenbergi)." Behavioral Ecology and
Sociobiology 21(1): 31-33.
**Nevo, E. (1990). "Evolution of nonvisual communication and photoperiodic
perception in speciation and adaptation of blind subterranean mole rats."
Behaviour 114(1-4): 249-276.
**Randall, J. A. (1994). Convergences and divergences in comunication and
social organisation in desert rodents. Aust J Zool 42: 405-433
**Francescoli, G. (1999). "A preliminary report of the acoustic
communication in Uruguayan Ctenomys (Rodentia, Octodontidae): Basic sound
types. Bioacoustics, 10, 203-218." .

We have here in our sound archive examples of recordings of Jan Randall's
footdrumming rodents, which were recorded with geophones (search under the
word 'geophone' on our catalogue for details of Giant Gerbils and Kangaroo
Rats).

Yours sincerely
Richard Ranft

-
---------
Richard Ranft                             =

Curator, Wildlife Section,=20=20=20=20=20
The British Library Sound Archive,              =

96 Euston Road,                      =

London NWI 2DB, UK.

email:
WWW pages with fully-searchable on-line catalogue at:
http://www.bl.uk/soundarchive
-

.