About CD formats

Subject: About CD formats
From: Greg Clark <>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:20:57 -0700
Doug's suggestion for reviewing the comments from users of bird CDs was
very worthwhile for me. I liked reading about the different ways that
people would like to hear recordings on bird CDs. Different choices are so=

important because everyone has different expectations for what they expect=

to accomplish by using the CD. I have produced a CD for Arizona birds that=

places the name of the bird after the recording. I called this a "learning=

CD" and people expect it to help them in this way. However, I also put
together  groups of birds, in level of difficulty, so that the user could
practice on these groups until all the birds were familiar. I placed the
groups at the beginning of the CD. That way the person could hear the bird=

that was still a problem and then wait for it to appear later on the CD.
Good for listening to the birds in the car, except that you have to read
the booklet to know which birds are in the groups. I was going to add some=

cuts that had examples of birds in different Arizona habitats that were
singing at the same time, since this is typically what one runs into. But,=

I never got around to doing that. I still think it's a good idea.

Greg Clark