Re: About CD formats

Subject: Re: About CD formats
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:31:41 -0400
While this thread has been about bird recordings, there are other
animals that vocalize. Like frogs.

And frogs often come in multi species calling groups.

When we constructed the frog CD, we reviewed similar CD's from a number
of states. Far too many became just boring quizzes or rote memorization.
  I've run into frog CD's where the same clips are repeated in several
quizzes and ID sections, sometimes just loops of a single short call.
These CD's are also entertainment or should be. And they should give
some idea of the environment of the caller.

We did have a classical ID section, with the narration before, which I
believe to be more useful for beginners just first learning the calls.
But, we then did something that's rare in such state CD's, we had a
section of actual frog chorus recordings that run through the year (with
no narration). If you are dead set on quizzes, there it is, read the
booklet to see if you found them all. If you have had enough of the
classroom, you can just let it play for enjoyment, the way the frogs
actually sound.

The feedback we have gotten indicates that the chorus sections are very
well liked indeed, both for learning and just listening. We have
received numerous requests for an all chorus CD. People want learning to
be fun.