Suggestions for more usable reference formats

Subject: Suggestions for more usable reference formats
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:55:07 -0700
The following is a compilation of e-mails posted to "Bird Chat", an e-mail=

group run by the Univ. of Arizona for the general birding chatter, over the=

last week. I thought that we might all read the comments of the users,
maybe be able to serve our public a bit better.

Doug

Your comments are well noted, but I would just like to praise Cornell for
their recent California CD of Bird Songs.  They have long cuts, local
dialects, individual tracks and the announcer is a sweet female voice that
fades away.  You almost have to turn it up to get the ID.

I think this is just brilliant.

Robert W. Hewitt
Director, LBJ Enterprises   www.birdjobs.com
1707 E Street #5, Eureka, CA 95501

think these suggestions for improving bird
recordings are excellent.  I suspect one reason more
recordists don't do this (at least for making CDs) is
that placing bird and announcement on separate tracks
would limit the number of species per disc.  Since CDs
are limited to 99 tracks, this means a maximum of 49
species of birds per disc.  Of course, I would be all
for using that space to include longer samples of the
vocalizations.

Geoff Keller's Bird Songs of California CD mentioned
by another poster is a good step in the right
direction; it has some of the longest sound samples I
have heard on any bird song guide.  Very, very good
stuff.

Some bird song CDs produced overseas, like many of
Jean C. Roche's guides to European and North African
birds, have no announcements on the CD at all, just
one species on each track.  If you're not familiar
with the birds, of course, this means you have to
refer to the CD insert to know which bird you are
hearing at any given time.  But this arrangement would
come in handy for making tapes, minidiscs, etc. for
field reference.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
James F. Remsen, Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Physical and Biological Sciences
New York City College of Technology
The City University of New York

In a message dated 4/13/2004 10:26:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,