intro

Subject: intro
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:50:23 -0600
In the last 24 hours I've become a nature recordist
and now I've got to get it off my chest.

I'm Mike Feldman, fiftysomething from Champaign, IL, USA;
I'm a software engineer by trade and a DAT-Head turned
serious amateur sound engineer (http://www.weft.org/comp/).
I started by documenting my son's musical career, then
collecting my favorite local bands from bars, record/book
stores and outdoor gigs until the weekly live music radio show
satisified my compulsion to roll DAT, MD, CD-R, or hard disk.

My first borrowed-DAT recordings were with Core-Sound Binaurals
and I quickly learned to solder Radio Shack and then Panasonic
electret capsules, and got tired of holding my head still and
quiet, so I built a few "binaural" heads
(http://www.advancenet.net/~feldman/cloyd.jpg), joined the
micbuilders list (nee MicDIYers), and met Rich Peet,
Walter Knapp and others there.

I also joined the AES as an associate and got interested
in infrasonic mics from a UIUC student chapter project.
Other interests are music, photography and graphic arts,
SF, astronomy and cycling and nature in general, and almost
everything wierd or whimsical.

So I was walking my dog last night and heard this warbly
resonant sound from up and somewhere in the urban residential
treetops and on a lark I dug out my portable DAT and a pair
of DIY PZM mics I built, and got some faint recordings from
the back yard, then took off on foot, and lucked into one louder
sample from under a big maple a few houses away.  Sucked it
onto my Mac today and emailed an MP3 to Rich Peet figuring he
could tell me if it was a bird, which, after a bit of confusion
and stumbling around, he did.  So I shared it with micbuilders:

http://www.advancenet.net/~feldman/200403051100_Bird.mp3

And I had fun denoising and amping it:

http://www.advancenet.net/~feldman/200403051100_Bird_NR.aiff

Then Rich suggested I join this list.