Newbie - Equipment Recommendations

Subject: Newbie - Equipment Recommendations
From: "tm957904" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 03:13:53 -0000
Im new to the board so first up, hi everyone! I have a couple of
newbie questions i was hoping to get some thoughts on. My names
Steve, a musican / producer with a growing taste for sound design.
Most of the work iv done had been on computers in small - mid sized
studio, so i have a good knowledge of software, instrumental
recording etc. Ofcourse, Im just realising how different recording
outside is - I recently went to a bird of prey sanctuary with a Zoom
PS1 and an AKG C1000 and came back with very mediocre results.  I was
able to use the computer to sort out most of the wind / noise but i
was still left with fairly poor recordings.

Im aware that the gear i was using was not exactly made for the job -
the Zoom only records at 32kHz, and the C1000 is really a close mic.
Therefore im looking to get some new gear more suited to the job. Im
planning to make recordings of various animals - large cats, birds,
cattle. I doubt i'll be doing much actual wildlife recording -
probably getting most of it from wildlife centres, safari's, zoo's
etc. What would you guys recommend? I have a small'ish budget so Im
really not up for top end stuff. Its unlikely ill be needing to
record over much distance - probably 2m tops, so i dont think a
parabolic would be necessary (?). Do you think the C1000 would be ok
over those distances or would i need a new mic, maybe an ME67? What
about a windshield, cuz i found wind to be a real problem.

I know an MD recorder would probably be good as a recording device,
but i have issues with compression and would prefer to be capturing
uncompressed 16bit/44.1 audio if possible. That said, i hear very
good things about the HHB Portadisc. How does this device compare to
say a Korg D8 for quality? Iv been looking at the MR8, which seems to
have all the features i need at a great price (except phantom power).
Any thoughts on this device? Also, Im not sure if i'll need a
dedicated preamp - Im sure i would for proper wildlife recording, but
again its likely i'll be working in fairly close quarters. Would i
get away with a phantom power box, into an MR8?

Many thanks in advance, Id really appreciate any advice you guys
could give me.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:26:50 2005
Message: 2