Re: Newbie - Equipment Recommendations

Subject: Re: Newbie - Equipment Recommendations
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:54:35 -0500
From: "tm957904" <>

> Im aware that the gear i was using was not exactly made for the job -
> the Zoom only records at 32kHz, and the C1000 is really a close mic.
> Therefore im looking to get some new gear more suited to the job. Im
> planning to make recordings of various animals - large cats, birds,
> cattle. I doubt i'll be doing much actual wildlife recording -
> probably getting most of it from wildlife centres, safari's, zoo's
> etc. What would you guys recommend? I have a small'ish budget so Im
> really not up for top end stuff. Its unlikely ill be needing to
> record over much distance - probably 2m tops, so i dont think a
> parabolic would be necessary (?). Do you think the C1000 would be ok
> over those distances or would i need a new mic, maybe an ME67? What
> about a windshield, cuz i found wind to be a real problem.
>
> I know an MD recorder would probably be good as a recording device,
> but i have issues with compression and would prefer to be capturing
> uncompressed 16bit/44.1 audio if possible. That said, i hear very
> good things about the HHB Portadisc. How does this device compare to
> say a Korg D8 for quality? Iv been looking at the MR8, which seems to
> have all the features i need at a great price (except phantom power).
> Any thoughts on this device? Also, Im not sure if i'll need a
> dedicated preamp - Im sure i would for proper wildlife recording, but
> again its likely i'll be working in fairly close quarters. Would i
> get away with a phantom power box, into an MR8?

I use a HHb Portadisc for all my recording. I've not heard of anyone
using a Korg for nature recording. So can't comment on it's suitability.
The HHb Portadisc is a field recordist's recorder, designed for the job.
It is excellent.

I use the HHb Portadisc with a Telinga Pro VI parabolic and a set of
Sennheiser MKH mics mostly used in modified SASS or M/S. It matches the
quality of the mics well. I do have a Sound Devices MP2 pre I also use,
but either to get more gain than I can with the Portadisc alone, or for
in the field stereo for headphones from my M/S setups. I dont use the
Sound Devices MP2 out of any need to improve the sound.

I've been using MD for a long time now. Compression is not the issue you
might think, but I don't care to even discuss it. I get results. Hi-MD
will be out soon and will have a uncompressed mode for those with belief
problems. Of course the actual machines are not yet known.

I'd be surprised if you really stay within 2 meters. The ME would be a
less expensive route to that of the MKH mics without loosing a lot. You
did not state the purpose of your recording. If it's for stuff to listen
to seriously consider a stereo mic setup. If it's raw material for
mixing a mono may be fine.

Wind protection/suspension is essential for nature recording, as is
mobility. Make sure whatever you choose can be used hand held while on
the move.

As far as recording in such populated places, you will have to tolerate
a lot of man made noise in your recordings. I'm not sure you need all
that top end a equipment for that, as it won't be the equipment limiting
the quality. Many people do such recording with mics like the concert
taper's "binaural" stealth mics. There may be advantages in using less
sensitive mics there. What I'd probably try first out of what I have
here is the Sony ECM-MS957 I have. Though that might be too sensitive.