Re: Newbie - Equipment Recommendations

Subject: Re: Newbie - Equipment Recommendations
From: "tm957904" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:42:05 -0000
Cheers Walter, I appreciate the detailed reply. It sounds like the
Portadisc will be fine, if its a pro unit known for its quality. The
MD recorder i used was a consumer model and left me with a some
what 'bad taste' for the medium. I'll have to check that out though,
it sounds cool. The Korg D8 is not a field recorder as such, more of
a location recorder for musicians. It records uncompressed 16bit/44.1
to hard disk, so i thought it would make a good reference for
comparison. Im still seriously considering the MR8 by Fostex. This
unit is more for musicians, but im sure it would make a great field
recorder for some one like myself. It records 16mins of uncompressed
16bit/44.1 (or 25mins at 22kHz) audio to flashcard, and costs just
275 GBP. It doesnt have phantom power, which is a problem, but Im
sure i can get around that. Anyone here tried this device?

The recordings Im making are all in mono. I use them to create sound
effects for both film and music. By blending natural sounds with that
from pitched instruments and synthesis, its possible to make some
really interesting textures and sonorities. Im sure more ambient
sounds would benefit greatly from stereo recording (24bit also) but i
usually mash them up beyond recognition anyway. The animal sounds I
plan to record will also be in mono. I hope to use them to create a
library of creature effects for an upcoming project. Having read
articles on the sound design for films such as Aliens and Jurassic
Park, it seems a collection of well recorded animal sounds will be an
essential.